Thursday 25 July 2013

Waving at Saturn


Monday, 19 July 2013, 10.27 p.m. - A time to go down in history.
The Cassini spacecraft orbiting Saturn was in a position to take a photograph of Earth and, this time, we were all in the know. In fact, NASA had asked everyone to go outside at precisely that time and wave at Saturn.
So that’s what we all did. Furthermore, in the UK we were lined up so that we actually faced Saturn at the correct time. Even more amazingly, we had clear skies.
The Eddington Astronomical Society organised a mass viewing at Kendal Castle. 120 people turned up to wave at Saturn and view the solar system's 2nd largest planet.
NASA reported many of the events throughout the world and, gratifyingly, the Kendal Castle event was the only one featured in the UK.
For this historic event (and because I like drawing googly aliens), I had to draw a cartoon. Below are the ideas I pitched to The Westmorland Gazette.
But which, I hear you (and various aliens) cry, is featured on this week’s front page?
Well, to find out you can visit my website. But before you do, cast your vote in the comments box below.







P.S. If you wish to see Cassini's snapshot of us all waving, click here.
P.P.S. Yes, for anyone wondering, I went outside to wave at Saturn. My dogs had other ideas, however, so some of us barked at Saturn instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment