Thursday 21 January 2010

A Rough Week




This week there were a couple of stories vying for front page of The Westmorland Gazette, so I had a go at both. The first sketch immediately demonstrated that I was about to veer into bad taste, so I concentrated on the second. 
Ambleside has been without gas - and, for a brief period, electricity - as the thawing snow caused supply problems. A very local story but fun to do. I didn’t quite manage to stay within the bounds of good taste but I figure the odd dubious cartoon makes sure the editor is paying attention.
As you can see, the roughs are just that - very rough. They are 2B pencil sketches, rushed onto paper before the idea evaporates. I used to fuss about with the composition when it came to the final artwork but over the years realised I was making it worse. Somehow, doing the drawing without thinking too hard seems to work.
In this case, as you can see from the final cartoon, the layout did change slightly, to point up the water bursting from the cooker. And, as always, a final, final version appears in colour over on my website.






















1 comment:

  1. Thought all of these were really funny - glad I wasn't choosing one of them!

    ReplyDelete